Logistician and administrative operations coordinator
(Search And Rescue – Central Mediterranean)
based in Marseille
SOS MEDITERRANEE is a civil European rescue association founded in 2015. Facing the humanitarian tragedy and the lack of adequate rescue capacity in the Mediterranean on the deadliest migratory route in the world, a group of European citizens created a maritime and humanitarian association in order to rescue the persons in distress at sea, to protect and assist them, as well as to testify about the realities and many faces of migration.
Today, SOS MEDITERRANEE is a network composed of four national associations (Germany, France, Italy, Switzerland) sharing the same mandate. Search and Rescue (SAR) operations have been carried out continuously since February 2016 in the Central Mediterranean off the Libyan coasts with the ship Aquarius, chartered by SOS MEDITERRANEE and operated in partnership with Médecins Sans Frontières. In 30 months of operations, the teams on the Aquarius have been able to rescue and assist almost 30.000 persons. The operations cost around 4M€ per year and are financed more than 90% by private donations.
In 2019, operations are to be resumed with a new ship.
SOS MEDITERRANEE is recruiting asap a logistician and administrative coordinator for its Department of Operations. Based in Marseille (France) under the responsibility of SOS MEDITERRANEE’s Director of Operations, the logistician and administrative coordinator contributes to structure SOS MEDITERRANEE’s Operation Department. The logistician and administrative coordinator will be in charge of supporting the setting, the follow up and to ensure the proper functioning of the Administrative, logistic and HR activities in a challenging, highly sensitive and quick evolving European environment.
Description of tasks and responsibilities:
The logistician and administrative coordinator is responsible for the proper functioning of the logistics and administrative in compliance with the procedures of SOS MEDITERRANEE.
The Logistician and Administrative coordinator is part of the on-shore operational team, with the Communication Manager, the SAR Manager, the Maritime Manager, the Deputy Director of Operations and the Director of Operations.
- Human Resources: He/She is in charge of the activities related to administrative and human resource management;
- Logistical support: He/She oversees logistical operations, supporting supplies, equipment and organization of movements;
- Administrative and Financial Support in coordination with SOS Med France Financial Department: He/She is the Operation department focal point for administrative, financial and internal control topics and ensures compliance with relevant procedures
Human Resources management:
- Participates in and supervises the setting up of a more comprehensive HR system for crew on board together with Ops Team;
- Participates in recruiting and contracting the team on board including organizing briefings and de-briefings and following up of the short term contract;
- Plans, organizes and supervises in close collaboration with the Coordination team every port call and crew-change: transportation tickets, accommodation;
- Supervise for SOS team all official immigration documents, and legal compliance with authorities;
Logistics and supply chain:
- Participates in supervising technical and logistical needs for the SAR operations, with the support of SOS MEDITERRANEE’s operations team or external specialists / technicians on shore;
- Supervises and guarantees the maintenance, cleaning and supply of the Operations office in Marseille;
- Provides a timely support for purchases and supply & Ensures a transparent management and coherent information on service supply chain processes wi thin the process of SOS Med;
- Provides support services and timely execution of all logistic tasks, maintenance and repairs for the effective management of equipment, material, facilities in coordination with the ship and the Maritime Manager;
Procurement and finance:
- Carries out procurement related activities, ensuring taxes compliance and proper documentation and filing of procurement process;
- Manages direct payments and correct validation of invoices before payment in respect of SOS Med thresholds;
- Ensures to provide the finance department with a monthly and accurate projection and follow-up of expenses under his/her responsibility and to properly file the corresponding invoices and supporting documentation;
- Ensures the implementation and follow-up of the internal control and procurement procedures and management tools and participates in the validation of procurement files as well as their appropriate classification;
- Organises access to the different ports for the team and the visitors;
- Work on compliance with national and European legal frame concerning taxes and customs;
- Provides oral and writing reports at least on a monthly basis;
Other general activities:
- Provides logistics/ Admin/ HR coaching /training to the team on board and on shore, when needed;
- Upon request of the European network, and after official approval of the Director of Operations, participates in representative events or specific actions within the civil society.
Job qualifications and requirements:
- Committed to the vision, mission and values of SOS MEDITERRANEE
- Proven management skills
- Flexibility and adaptability
- Sound teamwork experience
- Ability to work in an international structure with a strong civil mobilization and many volunteers
- Readiness to take decisions and responsibilities
- Excellent reporting ability
- Familiarity with MS Office and skilled in the use of ICT
- At least 5 years of professional experience of which at least 3 years in humanitarian environment in support services
- Degree in Finance management or Accounting or other related field (HR, administration, logistic)
- Driving License B mandatory, driving license E an asset
- Knowledge and understanding of ship management structures and practices, charter parties and related issues are a strong advantage
- Knowledge of migration issues and context of the Mediterranean are an advantage.
- Fluent in English and French, both verbally and in writing
- Knowledge of Arabic, Italian and/or German is an advantage
Terms of contract:
- Permanent and full time contract
- Starting as soon as possible
- Based in Marseille
- Regular Europe-wide travel
- Regular evenings and week-end work
- Week-end and holidays on-call duties.
Annual gross salary: 32,000
Salary advantages: Ticket restaurant, French health complementary insurance. Five weeks of paid leaves
and recovery for extra hours.
Please send your application (CV and cover letter) in English no later than 1 st of March via email to firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate “Application Logistician and administrative operations coordinator” as the subject of the email. Kindly note that no information will be given by telephone.