SOS MEDITERRANEE is a civil European association for rescue at sea founded in 2015. Facing the humanitarian tragedy and the lack of adequate rescue capacity in the Mediterranean on the deadliest migratory route in the world, a group of European citizens created a maritime and humanitarian association in order to : rescue the persons in distress at sea, protect and assist them, as well as testify about the realities and many faces of migration. Today, SOS MEDITERRANEE is a network composed of four national associations (Germany, France, Italy and Switzerland) sharing the same mandate. Search and Rescue (SAR) operations have been carried out since February 2016 in the Central Mediterranean off the Libyan coast, first with the ship Aquarius, and since July 2019 with the Ocean Viking, both chartered by SOS MEDITERRANEE and operated in partnership with Médecins sans Frontières. Since February 2016, the teams on the Aquarius and the Ocean Viking have been able to rescue and assist more than 31.000 persons. The operations cost today around 7 M € per year and are financed mostly by private donations.
In order for SOS MEDITERRANEE to run its search and rescue mission in the Central Mediterranean Sea, the 4 associations have developed fundraising activities in their respective country. Under the responsibility of the board of General directors and Director of Operations (EXCOM), the international development director has the objective to promote the development of SOS MEDITERRANEE in countries where it is not present, and in particular to generate extra funding from new markets, in complement of our national existing fundraising actions and sectors. The main objectives of the position are:
- To explore new potential fundraising markets, including new sectors or new fundraising countries (UK, US…), according to the priorities set up by the EXCOM
- To present a mapping of the best opportunities and prepare a development plan on a short and mid-term (2020 – 2021)
- To implement several options and raise funds in new markets, as approved by the EXCOM.
Description of tasks and responsibilities
- Draft a global SOS MEDITERRANEE international fundraising strategy.
- Analyze and identify potential new donors in the European Union outside of the current SOS MEDITERRANEE associations as well as in the USA, Canada, Norway etc.
- Introduce and liaise with potential new donors.
- Analyze the opportunity and develop new fundraising activities
- Identify and develop relationships to high-net worth individuals and seek funding from these individuals.
- Develop and draft project proposals in close coordination with SOS MEDITERRANEE’s Operations Department.
- Liaise with the four SOS MEDITERRANEE associations and in particular their respective fundraising teams.
- Participate in the regular senior management meeting of SOS MEDITERRANEE (EX-COM).
- Identify the means needed to pursue the development of SOS MEDITERRANEE, set up a plan and implement this plan.
Job qualifications and requirements
- The standard minimum qualifications are:
- Relevant work experience (at least 10 years) in the field of international fundraising and development and international donor relationships.
- Successful track record in project proposal writing (at least 20 successful project proposals).
- Established contacts and networks in the donor community.
- Proven track record in business development in the non-profit/NGO sector.
- Committed to the vision, mission, values of SOS MEDITERRANEE
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Language skills: fluent English both oral and written; French, German, Italian are added values.
- Proven track record to manage a team.
- Flexibility and adaptability
- Excellent reporting ability
- Highly adaptable to change and comfortable dealing with complexity, stress, and competing demands with grace and a sense of humor.
- Familiarity with MS office and skilled in the use of IT tools.
The position can be based either in Geneva, Paris, Marseille, or Berlin, in one of the offices of SOS MEDITERRANEE, and will entail frequent travels. The contract starts April 2020 and is limited to December 2021. According to the results it may be prolonged.
SOS MEDITERRANEE offers a competitive package. This position might be either salaried or in freelance.
Please send your application (CV and cover letter) in English before March 30th to email@example.com and indicate „Application International Development Director“ as the subject of the email.
Kindly note that no information will be given by telephone.